Soft pretzels are a favorite with our family but we used to buy them very infrequently at the mall or maybe a fair. This recipe changed everything for us. Now we eat hot, fresh, soft pretzel knots anytime we want. They even make great mini sandwiches too.
SOFT SOURDOUGH PRETZEL KNOTS
INGREDIENTS FOR PRETZELS
- 80 grams active starter
- 250 grams warm water
- 50 grams raw, unfiltered honey
- 12 grams sea salt
- 500 grams organic bread flour
INGREDIENTS FOR PRE-BAKE BATH
- 4 quarts water
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
INGREDIENTS FOR PRE-BAKE EGG WASH
- I large egg, beaten
- Coarse, kosher salt
- Mix starter, water and honey on low in stand mixer until just mixed.
- Mix salt into flour before mixing these dry ingredients into wet.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to wet ingredients. Once fully combined set mixer to lowest setting and using bread dough hook mix dough for 8 minutes.
- In a bowl and covered with a towel, let dough sit on counter until it increases by 50%. This is usually 6 – 8 hours.
- Tightly cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 36 – 42 hours. This dough will continue to ferment and grow slightly.
- Once fermented, remove from refrigerator. Cut dough into 15 equal pieces.
- One-piece at a time, on the countertop, roll the dough into a rope shape and place in the shape of a U. Then lift each end of the rope and twist twice. Fold the twist over and press the ends on the dough. Place each pretzel knot onto a parchment-lined baking tray. Cover the dough and let rise for 30-60 minutes or until puffy.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to boil. Add the baking soda and brown sugar. Then drop each knot into the water turning once. Bathe for 1 minute. Remove from water and place back on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush each knot with egg wash and generously sprinkle salt.
- Place baking tray into preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until beautifully golden-browned.