Long- fermenting is key to these delicious Sourdough English Muffins. A 48-hour proof provides the perfect tang offset by the honey for just the right balance.
SOURDOUGH ENGLISH MUFFINS
Yield: 20 muffins
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ferment Time: 1 day
Total Time: 1 day 1 hour 10 minutes
- 250 g Active Starter
- 50 g Raw, Unfiltered Honey
- 500 g Milk
- 735 g Organic High Protein Bread Flour
- 15 g Sea Salt
Needed for Baking
- 25 g Organic Cornmeal
- Add all the ingredients in the order listed. Mix between additions except for the flour and salt. Add those two together and mix until well incorporated. The dough will look a bit rough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it on the counter for at least an hour.
- After the hour, do one round of six stretch and folds. That is lift and stretch one portion of the dough from the side of the bowl and bring it into the middle. Turn the bowl slightly and do this again. Continue until you’ve done this six times and have made a complete circle.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit out on the counter for 10-12 hours or until the dough has at least doubled, preferably tripled.
- Place the covered bowl into the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- In the morning after the second day, take the bowl from the refrigerator.
- Get two cookie sheets ready by lining them with parchment paper and sprinkling them with the cornmeal. On a floured surface, turn the dough out. Cut into (20) 75g pieces. Roll them into balls. One by one, roll each ball out with a rolling pin and place it on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the tops with cornmeal also.
- Give them time to rise at least an hour. Then prepare a hot griddle. I use an electric griddle and keep the temperature at about 325 degrees.
- When the griddle is hot, place half of the muffins on it and cover them with a large pan lid so they cook evenly on the inside. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Let cool and rip those babies open with a fork. Whatever you do DO NOT just simply cut them open and demolish all your nooks and crannies.
- Slather with butter, jam, or make a homemade egg McMuffin.