These lemon scones are filled with delicious honey-fermented strawberries and are the perfect combination of a sweet and sour dessert or breakfast.
- 250g organic flour
- 100g granulated sugar
- 12g baking powder
- 2g salt
- 110g cold butter (one stick)
- 1 heaping cup of honey-fermented strawberries strained (save the strawberry-infused honey)
- lemon zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 100g discard sourdough starter
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp strained honey from strawberries
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp strawberry-infused honey
- 120g powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and mix together. Cut the cold butter into cubes and add it to the flour. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the butter into small pea-sized pieces.
- Add in the strained strawberries and lemon zest and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter, egg, yogurt, lemon juice, and 2 Tbsp of honey.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, then pour in the sourdough mixture. Use a fork to combine it into a rough dough. If the mixture isn’t coming together well, add in the remaining honey as needed.
- Tip the rough dough onto a parchment covered sheet pan and gently push it together with your fingers until it is combined into a crumbly but slightly sticky mound. Don’t over-knead the dough or it will become tough. Push the dough into a circle.
- Use a knife or a dough scraper to cut the circle into 8 wedge pieces. Separate and arrange the pieces to not touch each other on parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for around 18-20 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Once baked, leave the scones to cool for just a few minutes before glazing.
- Lemon Strawberry Glaze – In a bowl, add the juices and enough powdered sugar until it makes a thick but pourable glaze. Drizzle it over the scones.